One of the worst type of pollution is the plastic bag. This is found every time you go to the store and huge amounts of them are used every day. Here are some facts we should all remember the next time we go to buy something.
- 1 billion seabirds and mammals die every year because of plastic bags
- Sea turtles and other marine animals can mistake plastic bags for jellyfish and accidentally digest them. This can hurt and even kill the animals.
- Plastic bags can take over 1,000 years to decompose which make it hard to get rid of them easily.
To reuse plastic bags, we can use them again and again for different purposes to help prevent throwing them away. Things like needing a bag for your wet clothes when you go swimming and and a temporary lunch bag are all ways to reuse plastic bags. You can also get a bit more creative and make some really neat stuff with plastic bags. Here's a cool idea:
Plastic Bag Wallets
- 3 plastic bags
- iron/ ironing board
- piece of 4x4 wax paper
- tape (optional)
1. Align the 3 plastic bags and cover them with the 4x4 wax paper.Use iron to melt the bags together ( ask for parent help because this is extremely dangerous). Make sure not to go over 4x4 wax paper because plastic will melt and make a big mess. 2. After melting bags, take off wax paper. Ask your parent to cut a 3x4 piece of melted plastic. Fold this plastic hot dog style. Then ask your parent to melt the sides together using the iron ( use wax paper again) or tape the sides.
3. Fold the wallet hamburger style and you're done! If you would like, add a pocket or two and decorate your new wallet. Enjoy!
So there's reusing, an easy and fun thing to do while saving the planet.
Reducing is easy, too. When we reduce, we use less of something, so if we want to reduce the amount of plastic bags we use, we should consider if we really need a plastic bag. Here's an example: if I go with my mommy to the store and buy some milk, do I need a bag for it or could I just carry it by the handle? We can also use reusable bags instead of plastic bags. These little things make big differences.
Lastly,Recycling. Check to see if your local recycling center takes plastic bags or even your local general store. Like the facts I showed earlier say, it takes a long time to get rid of plastic bags so recycling helps a lot. Recycling uses both reusing and reducing as well. Its everything tied into one, a great way to help our planet.
So there you have it. Reducing, Reusing, and Recycling. Three amazing superheroes to fight back the super villain that is plastic bag pollution. And you can be a superhero as well! You can start right now by spreading the word! Bye!